Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bonnie and Clyde v. Public Enemies

First of all, I'd like to resend my earlier remarks about Bonnie and Clyde. When I said that I found the character development lacking and the reasons that they do things to be lacking, I wasn't slamming the movie. I was relating it to Public Enemies, which I also enjoyed, but was driven to take note of those major aspects of film that are very thin in these two movies. This leads me to the question, why would two projects with astounding direction, acting and basis for plot be so shoddy? I think that the lack of character development and the fact that "they act stupid" might be intentional, so then the question becomes -- "why?"

We know that Bonnie and Clyde did not follow the accuracy of events that happened, and that the goal was not a documentary. It was used more as a vessel for two characters that seem to embody change. The 60's were a time when young people and those with different lifestyles from the norm were screaming for change and this movie was a sort of avatar for those ideas. They were criminals, and they were anti-heroes, but we always found ourselves rooting for them in the end, why? Because they were relate-able. The major messages of the film were not to listen to authority (parents, law) and to do what makes you happy; and as those simple goals, the film is really quite noble. If it had been full of skilled robbers, and people with reasoning behind why they are the way they are, it would have been a better narrative, yes. But, it would have had less impact as a film calling attention to change.

They stay at a farm house, and when the ex owners arrive, Clyde passes his side arm over to them, encouraging them to shoot the sign. It's as if we are those Oakies, and Bonnie and Clyde are saying that "hey, you don't have to stand for this anymore. If a couple of crazy kids like us can rob banks and not get caught for half a decade, there's no reason you can't turn your life around and do what you want to -- and damn those that get in your way."

At least, that's what I thought.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're right, Walter: Bonnie and Clyde go well beyond what most of us would do, and yet their actions invite us to feel what they feel--to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this I also was comparing it to Public Enemies. I also agree on your idea that we root for people like Bonnie and Clyde because they're relate-able to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete