Friday, March 26, 2010

Really? No, really?

Alright, I suppose that with every film I watch from an earlier era, there are some things that have to be taken with a grain of salt. For example, when we watched "Sullivan's Travels" earlier this year, I had to remind myself that certain things were funny then that aren't now -- like an African American's face covered in vanilla -- hilarious in the fifties, fairly racist by todays standards. And it was with that mentality that I went into "A Place in the Sun" with. Unfortunately, I am sad to say, my understanding can only go so far before I begin to judge something exponentially harsher and harsher.
Distraught that you are pregnant? Ok, I can get that, people react the same way today. Being abandoned by your baby daddy? Ok, I see where you're coming from - that frankly sucks, and that guy is a jerk - no question. Breaking out into tears and throwing yourself against a door because a business is closed on a national holiday? No, I'm not going to get behind that one. Seriously, what the hell girl? I suppose there are considerations to be made because it is a melodrama and the "Great American Tragedy," but come on, this movie is perpetually over the top.
There is a disgusting amount of foreshadowing. "I don't like bathing suits, I can't swim." "Oh no, we're so far out the man is going to think we've drowned." "A woman drowned in this very lake, the man was never seen again." etc etc -- I think we get the point: he is going to drown her. The movie reads as if the audience was either to simple to understand the concept of framing a plot and foreshadowing (where you have something at the start come back near the end), or it was deliberately done this way to please a target audience.
Who that audience is, I have no idea -- I assure you, it wasn't me.

2 comments:

  1. Walter, melodrama is by definition over the top, so I think that's some of what you're catching here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. The movie went a little too far in some cases (especially when Alice went crazy when the judge's office was closed). The foreshadowing was definitely laid on too thick as well, making the whole boat scene more comedy than drama.

    ReplyDelete